One Room Challenge // The REVEAL!

12 May 2016
It's here! It's here!
ORC Reveal Day has arrived!

If it's your first time visiting, welcome! You picked a fun day to stop by. For the past six weeks, my husband and I have been busy making over our first floor powder room and documenting our progress through weekly blog updates for the One Room Challenge

You can catch up on the entire process here:

It's been a great learning experience and yes, I intentionally selected the smallest room in our house to makeover for my first One Room Challenge, but I am SO happy with the results!

I'd say it's time to just get down and dirty with the reveal photos, amiright? 
First, a quick reminder of the before side by side to my concept illustration and the finished space:


Ah, yes, now you remember why I dubbed this The World's Okayest Powder Room.
But I had big dreams for this tiny beige space!



The vintage floral Raymond Waites wallpaper was my starting point for the concept and theme for the new space: the World's Okayest would now be the French Botanical Garden. The botanical walls as inspiration, the room is styled with details and elements fit for a garden, including the garden stool that I ultimately selected to use as an accent table.



We included subtle floral accents throughout the space, including the stunning brooch ceiling light and the floral imprint bathroom accessories.


I had purchased this Matisse print at an estate sale last year, and when I saw the coordinating blue hues in the wallpaper, I knew I had to incorporate this artwork into my design. I love the modern artwork against the traditional wallpaper. The name of the print is "Blue Nude with Hair in Wind", so it also feels like she is frolicking (streaking) through the garden. (It's classy. It's a Matisse)

I framed my Blue Nude in a contemporary acrylic frame from Highland Hardware. This is one of my favorite details in the bathroom. Again, it's the juxtaposition of the contemporary hardware against the traditional wallpaper that make the space feel fresh.


The "Toujours lavez vous les mains" artwork is a piece that came from my childhood home and hung in my bathroom growing up. It roughly translates as "Always wash your hands because it is good and proper." I decided to hang it, as-is as a playful reinterpretations of a restaurant's "Employees must wash hands" sign. Gotta keep your sense of humor!

I love how the chartreuse frame and green matting picks up on the yellowy greens in the wallpaper (and just to note, this artwork was not located anywhere near the wallpaper in my parents' home. The colors just happen to work perfectly for my space!)

Well, that's about it! Who would have thought that I could take so many pictures of such a tiny, tiny space? 

Thank you, Linda, for organizing the One Room Challenge and House Beautiful for being a media sponsor! I am so pleased to have a newly designed powder room, and the fact that I am back to blogging on a weekly basis is hopefully something I will keep up!

Make sure you check out all of the other amazing designs!
And as always, I'll be 'gramming away, so please visit me on Instagram

Until the next challenge!


24 comments:

  1. That vintage wallpaper with the flushmount with the garden stool with the art is all fabulous!! It is an English garden indeed!! Fabulous job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป Thank you!! I love that you appreciate the theme!

      Delete
  2. Lee, I LOVE this! The touch of blue in the Matisse and the chartreuse really make it pop. And I may just have to use that same flushmount light in our powder room. So lovely, you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin!!! The flush mount is totally reasonable too, so yay! Thanks so much for your nice words, it means a lot!

      Delete
  3. such pretty wallpaper!! what a lovely powder room! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this transformation! The botanical wallpaper is divine and I adore the painted ceiling. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your nice words, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. Lee it looks a bozillion times better & so beautiful! esp love the art & wallpaper choices, bravo lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your illustration drawing was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! It's fun seeing the finished space side by side to what had been in my imagination! :)

      Delete
  7. That fixture! That acrylic frame!! EEEEE! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! That wallpaper is gorgeous, and the light fixture is so interesting. It fits right in with the look. I have a huge love for floral patterns. Great work!

    -Stacy
    http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You totally nailed it Lee! Love your wallpaper choice, and that lighting is perfect as well! Congrats and CHEERS to us for another room done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your nice words!!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful combination of art, paper, paint, and accessories. I bet that bathroom is singing your praises for making her so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the wall paper and the painted ceiling! so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great update! Love the pops of artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love everything but especially that ceiling light!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright Lee Owens Designs. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top